“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me”. Matthew 25:35-36
This passage from Matthew describes the Presbyterian Church of Lake Travis’s vision for our church’s Mission and Ministries. Fundamentally We are here to serve God.
We are several years into our mission ministries and there is no doubt that the Holy Spirit has been guiding us. We have established missional relationships with a number of communities within our broader community of Lake Travis and beyond:
- The Auberge at Bee Cave – A memory center where we conduct monthly religious services for the residents.
- The Lake Travis Crisis Ministry where we help by providing food and necessities to the folks they serve.
- Vamos Ya, a youth organization in San Antonio
Then by far, the largest of our ministries serves the economically disadvantaged in several RV parks hidden in a more well to do area of the county.
For these people, we provide:
- Mobile Loaves and Fishes – Lunches to the kids on Saturdays, a time when they do not have the food they would have as a result of the Federal school lunch program.
- Also, in cooperation with the Central Texas Food Bank, we collect and distribute between 50 to 60 pounds of food per family to some 40+ families.
- Now well into our second year, a Learn to Speak English program for adults in these communities.
As a further indication of the Holy Spirit’s leading us, our limited church person-power resources have been so stretched that we have brought in other resources from the Interfaith Ambassadors of Lake Travis (I AM LT). Together we have committed ourselves to not only continuing to serve these communities but to learn more of their needs and stretch our collective selves even more to serve these additional needs.
Critical to our mission is the need to recognize we are a small but passionate church with limited resources, but gifts and talents beyond expectation for our size.
Though we have and are making great progress in these last years, we recognize that our program is still in its infancy with specifics evolving as our church community expands its service to the broader community in which we live. We encourage, not only our own congregation, but any in the community who would like to become part of our service to join us and help serve the needs constantly being uncovered.