Session Notes – January 21, 2018
After opening with prayer and approving the minutes for the December session meeting, the Pastor gave her report and then the committees gave a briefing of any major events.
From the Pastor’s report there are a few points that should be highlighted here:
- The next Presbytery meeting will be held at Westlake, March 2/3. So far Chrystie has been elected as a commissioner. We are permitted 2, and volunteers will be considered. You do not need to be a commissioner to attend, all are welcome—and its close by!
- Make sure we contact those who, through the time and talent sheets, have expressed an interest in one or another aspect of church life.
- Remind people that they can and should consider signing up for the Covenant of Membership team. Remind them that this team will not be staffed with any session members.
- Property—attempt to get pricing on a fix for the storm water run-off through the driveway. Also consider alternatives to the current copy system.
- Mission & Outreach—be prepared for the February meeting to brainstorm possible ways in which to expand our service to those we currently serve.
- Christian Ed—Know that Professor Carolyn Helsel will be teaching Sunday School classes on April 8 & 22. Also, Helen Foster will be teaching a class on the poetry of George Herbert on March 25.
- Worship—Thanking all involved with the new and great looking banners. Lenten Contemplative Services will be held February 21 and 28, as well as March 7 & 21
- Finance—Budget is being finalized for a presentation at the congregational meeting on February 18. Initial review suggests that there will be a balanced budget, without dipping into our cash reserves.
- Hospitality—We are looking to expand the Lay Chaplin efforts that Carolyn Gottlieb has begun at Baylor Scott & White. Lakeway. Plans for Ash Wednesday are being finalized and include a soup dinner at 5:45, followed by a service at 7:00PM
There was then a discussion of the nominating process restart. Peggy Cook had asked to be replaced on the committee and it was agreed the Chrystie will become the session member. It was further agreed that after congregational approval and a review of the process and polity, the nominating committee will resume with no further change in membership.
The next session meeting will be February 18 after the congregational meeting.